This page will enlighten you about the benefits of exercise.
What is Exercise?
EXERCISE is also known as a physical activity meaning the activity of exerting your muscles in various ways to keep fit. Any bodily activity that enhances or maintains physical fitness and overall health. A physical activity that works your body at a greater intensity than your usual level of daily activity.
Different type of exercise offers different benefit:
CARDIOVASCULAR (CV) Exercise: It is a physical condition that exercises the heart, lungs and associated blood vessels. It is extremely important, because your Cardiovascular System is effectively your body’s power house.
RESISTANCE Exercise (also known as weight or strength training): is a type of exercise designed to increase body strength, power and muscular endurance. It is a very important component of your fitness programme, because as we age our muscle mass will be lost naturally, unless we exercise to counteract the aging effects.
FLEXIBILITY or STRETCHING Exercise is beneficial to health and physical fitness. Studies show that this type of exercise increases range of motion, while reducing exercise-related muscle soreness and injury.
To summarise the above mentioned types of exercise:
Cardiovascular exercise primarily improves the cardiovascular system (heart, lungs) while Resistance exercise improves muscular strength, and Flexibility exercise improves overall mobility and coordination.
Here are some known benefits of exercise on general health:
- Improves quality of life
- Regular physical activity is an important key to a sound health
- Keeping physically active can help prevent major illness , such as heart disease
- Exercise helps to improve mental health and general sense of wellbeing
- Being active at any age will provide a long term benefit to general health
- Exercise increases chances of living longer
- Physical activity is key for maintaining a healthy body weight
- Exercise increases energy, self esteem and mental focus
- It alleviates symptoms of depression and anxiety
- Improves mobility and strength
- Improves body composition, circulation and helps reduce blood pressure
- Decreases risk of Osteoporosis by improving bone health
- Strengthens the immune system
- Improves posture, weight reduction and weight management
- Enhances sexuality
- Strengthens the heart, keeping heart and lungs in shape
- Reduces risk of illness
- Increases muscle tissue and raise metabolic rate
- Makes body more agile
- Reduces joint discomfort
- Improves overall physical condition
This Information is intended to motivate and encourage you to get involve in exercise.
BEFORE COMMENCING ANY NUTRITION OR EXERCISE PROGRAMME IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU CONSULT WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN.